Wealthy habits of the rich and Diablo 3, Reaper of Souls

Whenever I read summaries about habits of rich people or types of people who became rich they tend not to include how much of anything else they were doing or tended to do besides accumulate money for years.

This study “After spending 5 years studying millionaires, I’ve found that there are 3 types of people who end up the wealthiest” culminated in 500 words at least for this native advertisement. That works out to 100 words per year for 5 years. So the title of the article would have taken 66 days to write.

After years of effort, the article fails to mention how many of the 233 wealthy individuals surveyed played how many hours of Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls? And did they play the PC, PS4, or XboX One versions?

 

Spoiler alert: the last of the 3 types of individuals in the article were dreamers; 51% of those interviewed. We can be fairly certain that none of the 51% wealthy individuals dreamt of playing Diablo for hours and hours per day and night, so it could be in the other 49%. Or maybe they had inherited their wealth and followed their dream of playing Diablo 3 constantly.

The second most common type of wealthy individual were virtuosos; becoming the best at what they did. It’s possible that some of the individuals became wealthy by selling in-game gold and items when Diablo 3 had an auction house. The auction house was shut down on March 14 2014, 11 days before the Reaper of Souls expansion pack for Diablo 3 was released, and the wealthy individual interviews took place over the last 5 years. Therefore the 27% of wealthy individuals that were virtuosos would have had to become rich by 2014, or they could have reported becoming rich at anypoint within the last 5 years.

The final type of wealthy individuals were saver-investors. They had things in common, listed in the article, such as a low standard of living, a modest income, the latter exceeding the former, saved 20% or more of their latter, and reinvested their latter for 32 years. With Diablo 3 being released on March 15th 2012, the auction house on May 29th 2012, the wealthy saver-investers would have had less than a 2-year period to accumulate an average of $3.4 million US dollars from the Diablo 3 auction house.

We will probably never know how much of Diablo 3 that wealthy individuals play, nor how much of any video game that they play for that matter.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit.

-Will Durant

This quote has always nagged at me. There are many quotes to reference but this one keeps climbing out from under the pile. What do you repeatedly do, day after day? If you think about this quote while you are doing anything, then you can immediately ascertain your current action’s premise and value.

If you watch TV then you are a “coach potato.” If you play games then you are a “gamer.” If you read books then you are a “bookworm.” The trick here is that I would classify a bookworm in a higher regard towards one’s future than TV’s directive for fearmongering and/or advertising revenue, or gaming’s simple pleasure for some short-term entertainment.

The eerie nature of this quote is that it seems to bring about a qualitative dichotomy to our daily activities. Are they productive for your future or are they vacuous repetitions that kill your limited time?

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s